The Curonian Spit is a peninsula, which divides the Curonian Lagoon from the Baltic Sea. Northern and the biggest part of the Curonian Spit belongs to the Republic of Lithuania. The other part, where Pilkopos, Rasyte, Sarkuva and some other smaller settlements are, belongs to Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation. In 1923 the Northern part of the Curonian Spit (territory of 52 km in length) went to the Republic of Lithuania. During the period of 1939 – 1945 the whole Spit belonged to Germany. After the World War II, the Northern part of the peninsular went to Lithuania again. Currently, the part of the Spit that belongs to the Republic of Lithuania (0.8 thousand ha) is being administrated by the Municipality of Klaipeda City, and the remaining part (approximately 25.6 thousand ha) is administered by the Municipality of Neringa. The main facts:
Area - 180 km ²,
Length - apie 98 km.
Area of the beach - approximately 10-50 m.
The widest point is beside the Cape of Bulvikis (4 km northeast of Nida) – 3.8 km.
The most Northern pont is beside Sarkuva settlement, in the region of Karaliaucius (Kaliningrad) - 380 m.
There are about 2 km³ of sand totally on the spit.
Forests occupy 6,852 ha (70% of the land).
Arable land comprises - 5 ha, grazing land, fields -17 ha, inner waters - 1 ha, roads -232 ha, sand – 2,485 ha, occupied area -152 ha, swamps - 28 ha, gardens - 2 ha.
In 1961 the main settlements of Lithuanian part of the Curonian Spit - Alksnyne, Juodkrante, Pervalka, Preila, and Nida – were united into Neringa town. Currently, around 2.6 thousand people permanently reside in Neringa.